Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Chrome Ride 126 - 100 Ride Challenge Ride 12


It's been a while... you might have guessed it is because of my shoulder.  It got worse.  It was to the point that after working an eight hour shift on Saturday (against doctor's orders because I couldn't find someone to take my shift) I was in so much pain I could barely drive (couldn't turn my head in any direction.... driving with your head straight makes looking for oncoming traffic hard), couldn't take my shirt off without help, couldn't wash or comb my hair, etc.  You get the idea.  It was bad.  So I asked off for a week from work (unpaid yikes!).  I was in quite a bit of pain Sunday and Monday, but today I was feeling well enough to clean most of the house and to go for a short ride.  I rode in the yard for twenty minutes with just his halter.


Chrome was being a bit of a pain.  I thought it was because he wanted to graze, but turns out it was partly that and partly because he's getting itchy already.  I'm going to have to start the neem oil early this year!!  So we just walked around and he was using his big, ground covering walk again.  That was a relief because his stifle caught when I led him from the pasture and when I was asking him to back up.  I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't back up because he'd been doing so well.  He would rock his weight back in a normal, relaxed manner and then he would bring his head up and pin his ears.  I insisted because I'm an idiot and thought he was just being a turd, so he finally swung his butt sideways, which unlocked his stifle.  That's when I realized what was going on and felt horrible.  I praised him and didn't ask for anymore backing.  He was doing so well last week that I don't want to mess it up by asking him to do it when he can't, which frustrates him.



He didn't want to stand still so I insisted and we watched hubby till the garden spot.  Once he listened and stood still without trying to move for a couple of minutes I hopped off and praised him.  He immediately wanted to graze so I made him stand ground tied for a while before I let him graze.  I actually looped the rope over his withers and that was enough to keep him from being able to reach the grass so I let him self correct himself until he gave up and went to sleep.

 Zzzzz,

 Just kidding, he was blinking.  

He was standing still and relaxed though, so I praised him, untied the reins and gave him the "okay" vocal cue that I've been trying to teach for years and let him graze while I helped hubby with the garden.


OrangeJello (the orange cat) likes to hang with us too and has no self preservation around horses... luckily Chrome was too busy grazing to try to kill him lol.

I have news on the shoulder/job front, but it has to wait until tomorrow.  I have to go to physical therapy and I want to see what they say before I update you guys.  Please keep your fingers crossed, pray or send good luck vibes, whatever your thing is, for me please!

8 comments:

  1. I hope the physical therapist can help! I remember having intense arm pain and not being able to lift anything several years back. The doctor didn't have a clue as to what was going on, so he just sent me to a P.T. She mainly gave me massages while we talked about our horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the therapist helps! Living in that much pain sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went well. I'll update soon. I'm lucky that my pain isn't constant, but yes dealing with that kind of pain definitely sucks!

      Delete
  3. Wow that doesn't sound good at all, glad you are being seen by a PT and I hope that it helps. Hurting all of the time really sucks. Looking forward to your update tomorrow, hoping for good news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The visit went well. I'll update about it soon. I forgot to mention it in the post, but I'm fortunate that my pain isn't constant. It's just at work and when I do certain things. I'll explain better in the update post.

      Delete
  4. I've ridden despite pain quite a lot, & it robs a lot of the joy from the ride. TGFPP (thank God for pain pills).
    Hope you'll find relief & be 'good as new' in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does, but luckily I have very little pain while riding. It isn't one of the things that hurts. I'll explain better in my update soon. Thank you!!

      Delete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)