Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Finding the right bit?

 So ever since Chrome had a bad day I've been researching reasons for his attitude.  During that research I started studying fitting a bit properly.  I made a list of criteria and went to study Chrome's mouth in detail I've never studied it before.  For starters I've been using a 5 inch bit and his mouth actually measures 5.5 inches!!  Oops!!  It honestly didn't look that small on him.  Also I've been reading about the difference between a regular snaffle and a double jointed snaffle.  A regular snaffle can have a nutcracker effect which might explain why he slams on the brakes and throws his head when I correct him for bucking.  Oops again!!  Also he has a HUGE tongue!!!!!  One website said to look at their mouth with it closed to see if the tongue sticks out the sides and boy does his!!  There is some tongue overflow.  His tongue needs to go on a diet LOL!  So that means he needs a thinner bit.  He does have a moderately arched palate though so that helps and later on if he needs a ported bit he can have a small port for tongue relief.  I don't know what kinds of bits have ports or how to shop for them, so I decided to start with a  french link eggbutt snaffle in 5.5in to see how much of a difference that makes.  If we have to explore further from there we will.  :)

Here are some random pictures of him wearing his d-ring single jointed snaffle.


This might also explain why he's becoming resistant to being bridled.  I feel bad for guesstimating on the size and I will never do that again.  So my next question is... does anyone have a 5.5" French link Eggbutt snaffle bit I could buy used?  They are between $20 to $30 bucks online new with another $10 on top of that for shipping... I kind of don't want to spend that much in case it doesn't work out.  That sounds so cheap!!  If you guys don't have any bits to spare I'll go ahead and buy one.  I don't want to use a too small bit on him now that I know it is.  Thanks guys!!

17 comments:

  1. Lately, I pretty much always use a double-jointed bit, like an oval mouth, in order to avoid the nutcracker action. I did have a 5.5" loose ring oval mouth that you could have had, but I got rid of it about a year ago, sorry! Right now I only have 4 bits (whoa!) and the only 5.5" double-jointed is the Stubben boucher that's currently on Salem's bridle (not that we're using it, though!).
    Just keep in mind that the thinner the bit, the harsher, so don't go too thin!
    Maybe you can find one online during the Black Friday to Cyber Monday sales--I know Smartpak, Horseloverz, VTO Saddlery, Bit of Britain, State Line, etc. are all having sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the thin ones are harsher so I was kind of worried about that too, but I don't want one that is so thick it constantly presses on his tongue and makes it difficult for him to swallow. He obviously can't be easy lol!! Thank you for the websites that are having Cyber Monday sales!!!! I wasn't for sure which ones were doing it and which ones weren't. :)

      Delete
  2. You can also check ebay and facebook tack trader groups. Or ask Aimee (Sprinkler Bandits) since she has every bit known to man. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Aimee does have every bit known to man. If I don't find something on Cyber Monday I'll ask her. Thanks! I also keep forgetting about the Facebook groups.

      Delete
  3. I find bit info super interesting, mind sharing what websites you used to find out how to find out about tongue thickness etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh the only one I saved was this one. http://www.equusite.com/articles/riding/ridingCheckYourBitFit.shtml It's the one that was talking about the tongue though so I hope it's helpful to you too!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thanks girl, I'll deff check it out as i know very little about bit fitting and am curious to see if those i have for my girls are good or could i find better to make them more comfortable.

      Delete
    4. You're welcome! It's a good idea to check because I had no idea his bit is too small!!!

      Delete
  4. TWH really loves his french link O ring, he doesn't move well at all in a regular snaffle. Mia, on the other hand,not only doesn't like french links but also doesn't like O rings. Go figure! I am going to second the suggestion to check out FB groups, most times you get bits for $15-$20 shipped on English Tack Trade on FB. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of horses like Mia that like a single jointed, that's why I decided to just try a regular snaffle, but since he's showing issues I want to try a French link now. I wish they could talk! It would make all of this so much easier. :) I keep forgetting about FB groups!! I'll check out the ones you gave me the other day. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. My guy thoroughly rejected the single joint snaffle - the rings pinched his tender mouth parts, and he needs every inch of 6". I may have a bit for you - will email later today if I do.

      Delete
    3. He may need a six inch. I read back over these articles and it says to add a quarter inch to each side. His mouth measured exactly five and a half inches so if I add the quarter inch on both sides that's a six inch!!

      Delete
  5. Its interesting how different all horses bit needs are depending on temperament, sport, and mouth. Mine goes well in a slow twist, full cheek, she needs a little reminder not to hang on me for support, she can hold her own dang head up. Agree with FB sites, although our local consignment place had the bit I needed for same price, no shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really interesting! I'm learning a lot. We don't have consignment shops around here unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. good luck finding a bit that works for you! double jointed works really well for isabel, and she prefers thinner bits bc they take up less space in her mouth

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)