Monday, October 28, 2013

Sunshine Award

Andrea over at The Reeling (used to be The Uncatchable Number 257) nominated all of her readers for the Sunshine award!  

The Sunshine Award is for people who “positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere.” The nominee must do the following: thank the person who nominated her, nominate ten bloggers of her own, answer the ten questions given to her, and post them and the Sunshine Award button to her blog.

Thank you Andrea for nominating me!  
  1. Mares or Geldings? Geldings!  I clash too much with most mares.  Or maybe I just haven't found the right mare.  :)  I do prefer the consistent temperaments of most geldings I've met over the mares I know.
  2. English or Western? Both.  I grew up riding western.  I never competed in anything, but spent hours and hours on the trails (and roads).  Ever since I was a little kid I had always wanted to learn dressage though, so when I hit the jackpot and got a job working at a dressage stable as a teenager I started taking lessons.  Now I like both!  Sadly I no longer own a western saddle or a dressage saddle anymore.  I do have a nice Aussie saddle though for trail riding and I'm saving up to get a dressage saddle now that Chrome is getting closer to being done growing. 
  3. Do you prefer “younger” or “older” horses? I like both.  I love riding well trained, older horses because you can just relax and enjoy the ride, but I also love training babies (which is why I got Chrome when he was five months old).  It's so much fun being involved in the training of a baby because you get to see all of their firsts.  First hoof trim, first time wearing a saddle, first lost baby tooth (cap), first ride, etc.  It's fun!  Besides babies grow up into "older" horses so they are the best of both worlds.  
  4. Have you trained a horse from ground zero? Yes.  My family bought a pregnant mare when I was a teenager and I helped train her filly (with dad's help) and I've also done all of Chrome's training (as mentioned above I got him at five months old, so he did already know how to halter, lead and stand tied) so far.  We've only cantered under saddle once, so I don't consider him "broke", but we're getting there. 
  5. Do you prefer riding or groundwork? Totally depends on the day.  :)  I like both. 
  6. Do you board your horse or keep it at home? At home!  I have never boarded a horse (and consider myself very lucky) and hope I never have to.  I love having them at home.  In fact my friends at the dressage stable want me to board him so we can ride together, but I just can't do it.  I can't imagine not being able to go outside at any time of day or night to give him a hug if I need one.  :) 
  7. Do you do all natural things or just commercial stuff?(in sense of products) I try to use all natural products, but sometimes it's impossible... anyone know of an all natural fly spray that actually works?  Heck, or even a chemical one that works?  I also like to keep my horses naturally, barefoot, outside 24/7, continual source of roughage available (we're making slow hay feeders as soon as I can find the stuff I need yay!), etc.
  8. All tacked up or bareback? Both! I love riding bareback when I'm feeling lazy or it's cold outside.  Nothing like a furry horse to help keep me warm lol.  Having a saddle is nice for long trail rides or for riding someplace new where extra security comes in handy for any spooky moments or for riding a horse I don't know well.    
  9. Equestrian role model? I'm totally stealing Andrea's answer for this, because I never know what to say....  "Anyone from any discipline that puts the horse first, and isn't in it for money or gain."
  10. What’s your one, main goal, while being in the horse world? My number one goal is to provide the best care for my horses as I can and for them to be as happy as I can make them.  :)  Also trying and learning new things!

So who is nominated?  It's really late and I have no idea who has received this award yet (and everyone will have soon the way these spread like wildfire through our horse blogging community), so I'm going to nominate everyone who reads my blog!  All of you who read and comment on my blog inspire me to keep blogging and to do the very best I can for Chrome every day!  You guys are awesome!

3 comments:

  1. Also I didn't see a button for the Sunshine award so if anyone knows where to find it please let me know. Sorry I didn't post it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found my blog and commented!

    Freisian X Arab, always wondered about that!

    Per you comment about a fly spray that works...I actually do have one that we make ourselves. You can add or leave out the permethrin - adding it really gives an extra kick that helps. The horse would have to reach 40+ before the effects of the chemical would really start to have adverse affects on the horse. Email me at estout18 (at) gmail (dot) com for the recipe if you're interested! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I sent you an email about the fly spray.

    Chrome is my first Friesian cross. I would love to have a purebred someday, but I absolutely adore him so even if I don't I'm still happy. :) He takes his personality after the Friesian, which I'm thrilled about since that's the number one reason I love the breed. His size and build are a blend of the two breeds. He inherited the gray gene from his Arabian mother and his crappy mane lol. He seems like a good blend of the two to me, although I haven't met a lot of Friesian/Arab crosses, so what do I have to compare to. I have seen other Friesian/Arabian crosses online and in pictures that could be his total twin though so I'm thinking the cross is pretty predictable all things considered.

    My only complaints (and it's hard to find any because I love my boy) are that he has weak stifles and sweet itch. Disregarding those two things I think he's perfect. :D I can't wait to read more about your purebred.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)