Monday, May 27, 2013

Ride 32 - I HATE my saddle!

 

I have no clue what I was doing in the picture above, but I have a feeling it has something to do with an insect of some sort.... mosquito, fly, spider..... I look too calm for it to be a spider.  Anyway that's basically the only picture I got of our ride because the camera was acting weird.  Oh and I seriously need to dig through our storage building and find the rest of my clothes because it's beginning to look like I wear the same thing in every blog post LOL!  I promise I don't hehe.

Anyway my plan for the ride was to give the saddle one last try, get some video of us trotting and work on my posting trot..... none of it went very well.  I've decided, without a doubt, that I hate my saddle.  Chrome was acting fine in it and it's totally fine for walking around or trail riding, but it sucks for trying to post the trot or any sort of equitation practice.  The Aussie saddles are just so bad about pushing your feet forward in a chair seat.

I did get some video, but it was blurring in and out really bad so I won't post it (not to mention I looked horrible lol).  The main thing I noticed is my feet swing back and forth when I try to post the trot.... not a little bit, but like a whole foot!!!!  I can post normally for a couple of strides then it pushes my feet forward and I keep having to pull them back which causes the swinging.  It's horrible!!!  So I've decided to put trotting on hold for a while.  I can't post in the saddle.  I'm too out of practice to post bareback.  I really don't need to be sitting the trot on a four year old.

I'm going to save up for a dressage saddle, but right now every spare penny is going into building my house so it may be a while.  I want to wait until I can take lessons before I do anymore training on him because I don't want to screw up everything we've done so far.  So for now my focus is going to be trail riding.  That's what I really want to do anyway right now.  I miss just going out and having a fun, relaxed ride without worrying what I should be doing, or shouldn't be doing, etc. We have plenty to work on with trail riding and I can teach him more tricks and I can build obstacle courses, etc.

There is a couple of things from the ride I do want to mention.  One is that a huge limb fell while I was riding!!!


I was riding away from the tree when the limb started cracking.  At the sound of cracking Chrome's head popped up and he tucked his butt, but he didn't break stride.  Then it crashed to the ground a second later and he did that again, then stopped when I asked.  Such a good boy!  It scared the crap out of me so I'm happy he stayed so calm.

I rode for half an hour which I totally didn't mean to.  I meant to make the ride short since I've missed a few days (been very busy on our house, check out my previous post to see what we've been working on).  I started warming him up, then the limb fell, then my grandma came out of her house and asked why Chrome was limping.  I didn't realize he was, so I checked all of his feet, but they were fine so I walked him some more.  He wasn't limping, but stepping really high with one front leg.  Turns out it was a fly.  I let him scratch his leg and he was fine lol.

So then I got back on and continued our warm up.  Then I started trotting and my husband was taking video, but the stupid camera was messing up.  I finally got frustrated and decided to quit.  Before quitting I decided to try something fun first.... cantering!  Chrome cantered.... okay fine he crow hopped three whole stride before dropping back down to a perfectly calm, relaxed walk LOL!  He had no clue what I was asking!!!  I wish the video weren't blurry because he had his neck curled, his back hunched and his butt tucked and looked super cute crow hopping along LOL!  The thing that made me happy though is that I was laughing and wasn't scared at all!  He wasn't being mean or trying to throw me, he was just confused and surprised.  :)  I probably won't try again until we do some in hand work and he knows the cue for canter.  And of course until I have a saddle I'm more comfortable in.  I just can't find a secure seat in my saddle.

Anyway I finally got the video my friend took from a few days ago on our last ride.  Here is the video.

Wow he looks as long as a limousine in that video for some reason... maybe because she took it with her IPhone?

And here are some snapshots I took....  as you can see he isn't as long as a limousine lol.


Doesn't Chrome look great here?  His nose is just in front of the vertical and he looks like he's using his back pretty well for a green four year old!  And I was sitting the trot bareback.  :)

So anyway, I have a plan for progressing with our trail riding, so keep an eye out for our next ride in a few days.  :)

P.S.  I totally forgot to mention I was using my clicker to click Chrome for his trot transitions today, but I forgot to fill my pouch and ran out of hay pellets  after just a couple of minutes.... oops hehe.

8 comments:

  1. Bad tree branch! One blogger has had a couple of trees fall while she was out trail riding. I think she lives in Ohio. Scary stuff.

    Riding bareback looks scary to me, but you have really good balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrome looks really comfortable. what a good baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the rider from Ohio? I have had at least 5 trees fall while I was riding. It is always when I am riding Cruiser. The last time it happened, be barely reacted. He must be getting used to it.

    Chrome is doing great. He looks awesome. I can't wait to hear about you plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judi you were the first person I thought of when that limb fell lol! And yes I'm sure she's referring to you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the saddle fit him well? I rode for years in an Aussie and was able to post, although, I will say they never fitted my Friesians well and I was off balance. Try seeing if someone will trade you saddles on Craigslist - that might help you out.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm I didn't think about trading saddles.... I'll have to talk to my hubby about that since it was technically his saddle. I'm going to try to plan a day when I can get Chrome over to my trainer's barn and have her look at my saddle and try some of her saddles on him. I don't know when it will be though....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could also try riding in the saddle but without stirrups, see if that helps your posting. Maybe it would help? Trading saddles is usually easiest, there are usually Facebook groups for most areas and people are ALWAYS looking to trade where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried putting on paddock boots and half chaps? My legs swing in an English saddle without them. Western saddles have fenders that keep your leg steady but Aussies are more like the English right? Keep your eyes peeled for a thorowgood. I picked mine up for a song and I'm so happy with it. I knew I needed cheap since he's growing and ill likely go through a few before he's done.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)