Saturday, May 1, 2010

Donkey Day - 5-1-2010

It sure is no fun when little brothers weigh more than you do!

Bratty Chrome enjoys swinging his toys in circles and banging them against buildings and fences . . . and donkeys!!!

How not to desensitize a donkey to empty feed bags . . .

. . . let your colt chase him with one LOL!

On a more serious note, these boys play ROUGH together!

And I'm worried because Zeppelin has sores on his flanks . . .

. . . but Chrome doesn't have a mark on him.

This doesn't mean that Zeppelin doesn't bite Chrome. I've seen him dole out the punishment in their mock fights, but I think Chrome bites too hard. Is there too much of a size difference to make safe pasture/play mates? Zeppelin I would guess is around three hundred pounds and Chrome is close to six hundred. Zep does kick Chrome when he's had enough, but why would he let Chrome cause sores before saying enough?

Anyway the sores aren't too bad. They aren't pouring blood or infected or anything like that. I just don't like Zep being hurt. I was going to get Chrome gelded this spring, but I couldn't get it done before the flies came out so I guess I have to wait until this fall. I don't think I'm going to have enough money to get them both done at the same time unfortunately, but Zep hasn't been aggressive or anything so I might let him wait longer. He turns three this year so it's not like he's going to suddenly turn crazy or anything. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Chrome might be being a little rough on the little guy. I would just watch them. Donkey's are tough. I would start clicker training Zep though, so you can treat a sore if it looks bad.

    I heard from another donkey owner that it there are more problems associated with gelding an older donkey. I can't remember why, you might want to check with your vet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think Chrome being gelded will make quite a bit of difference in the long run. Up until then I think keep an eye on it, and maybe if you feel Zeppelin needs a bit of peace and quiet from time to time, he could be separated for a bit? Sorry to not be much help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrome is certainly a handsome young man! The fact that Zep will say "enough" to his pasture pal tends to make me think that they are fine together. I assume Chrome does stop when Zep does this, right? Provided Chrome doesn't engage in any dangerous dominant behaviors (e.g. cornering Zep and pulverizing little guy), they should be fine together. I would just keep a casual eye on them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Zep needs a time out from his big goofy brother. I know how he feels.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)